Saturday, November 16, 2019

OCP Peds Simulation

Overall, I believe the simulation went very well. Personally, I feel that this simulation was much more calming than the previous ones, or maybe it could be the "practice effect." It also could be just becoming more comfortable with speaking to clients. Just before entering the room there I became anxious, but once I walked in and introduced myself most of the nerves went away. In preparation for the SIM, there were copious amounts of information that we had to read, interpret, and deliver to our simulated client. I think spending ample amount of time preparing notes, reading over Libby's information, and practicing with classmates helped me be better prepared for my delivery of the information. I believe this SIM went well and I delivered the information I needed to with empathy and understanding.

If I could do something differently, I would have tried to get to know her more and understand what she is going through. I think probing more with questions about Libby, asking how her behavior impacts their daily life, and just try to get a full perspective about Libby and their family dynamic would have been great. I think this is the one thing I would have done differently.

1. One example of how an attitude of caring can be communicated to a client/caregiver is body positioning/language whenever speaking to the client. I believe body positioning is an integral part to being on the same level/playing field as the client. In our simulation, the client was seated near the hospital bed. I had to roll the stool over and sit close to the client, but not too much in her personal space. I think being close to the client shows that you care and you are available to them, and I also think it allows you to explain paperwork or documents "together" instead of being all the way across the room on a computer screen. 

2. Another example of how an attitude of caring can be communicated to a client/caregiver is practicing active/emphatic listening skills. This can be done by giving the client your sole attention, making eye contact with them while your speaking, and using facial expressions to express and openness to what they are saying. We know that listening is just as, if not more important than speaking, so as OT students we need to listen to our clients. We have to listen to understand.


I will incorporate this SIM lab into an actual clinical situation by using emphatic listening skills we have learned. I will take time during the clinical situation to sit down and actually get to know my clients on a personal level. Also, in a clinical situation I will take time to find things/interventions/activities that are truly meaningful to the client and help them work on those things. Overall, I think the SIM labs help us to develop a confidence to convey information and speak to clients in a professional and emphatic manner, and I am grateful for these opportunities to help us become better practitioners in the future.


No comments:

Post-Interview Reflection